[b-greek] Re: Jesus' Corpse

From: Glenn Blank (glennblank@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 13:43:21 EST

----------
>From: "Wes Williams" <WesWilliams@usa.net>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [b-greek] Jesus' Corpse
>Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:53:02 -0700
>
>Does anyone have insight into why Jesus' PTWMA is not translated as
>"corpse"? A PTWMA is not exactly the same thought as English "body." What
is
>the best translation of PTWMA?
>
>NAB Matthew 14:12 His disciples came and took away the corpse [PTWMA] and
>buried him; and they went and told Jesus.
>
>NAB Matthew 24:28 "Wherever the corpse [PTWMA] is, there the vultures will
>gather.
>
>NAB Mark 15:45 And when he learned of it from the centurion, he gave the
>body [PTWMA] to Joseph.

This is a translation question rather than a NTG question, but I would guess
because in English, "body" is a euphemism, as in the question "did they find
the body" as opposed to "did they find him" -- by saying it the first way
rather than the second way, it is clear that it is a dead body. It might be
that the translators chose "body" rather than "corpse" for Mrk 15:45 out of
respect.

glenn blank
Pensacola Fl