[b-greek] Hearing: Luke 10:24 tenses of the infinitives

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 09:19:30 EST

RE: [b-greek] Luke 10:24 tenses of the infinitives,
             the need to listen

TW Rob
CAIREIN

>Luke 10: 24 says in part POLLOI PROFHTAI KAI BASILEIS
>HQELHSAN IDEIN hA
>hUMEIS BLEPETE, KAI OUK EIDON, KAI AKOUSAI hA
>AKOUETE, KAI OUK HKOUSAN
>
>Why is IDEIN a present form and AKOUSAI an aorist. They seem to be
>completely parallel. Is this because IDEIN, though present in form,
>functions as an aorist?

both IDEIN and AKOUSAI are aorist.
It would have helped to have been hearing these forms.

The accent on IDEIN is idEIN (final syllable).
And aorist of course, is the default/simple infinitive for most verbs.

for a listening demo and a discussion of evidence on first century
pronunciation, see Living Koine Greek for Everyone, Volume One,
at www.biblicalulpan.org

(Appended to this email are some user-feedback comments that were
sent to a parallel e-list and relate to another thread on this list. They
are
relevant as a method of 'listening one's way into a language'.)

ERRWSO

Randall Buth, PhD
Director, Biblical Language Center
www.biblicalulpan.org
and Lecturer, Biblical Hebrew
Rothberg International School
Hebrew University

 + + + + + + +
RE: Pictures: Self-Contained Hebrew workbook

shalom Mark,

The response of people who actually use the picture material
in Living Biblical Hebrew for Everyone
is heart-warming.

Here is a comment from a 60-year old lady I received this week:

"Regarding our Biblical Hebrew, we are serious about our language
course, and continue to work on it daily. I am so thrilled as to its
simplicity and effectiveness. It is very rewarding. "

Another comment, this week, from someone working with children
(parentheses mark the ages of the kid!):

"Book One has been very rewarding. David (8)
and Joy (6) have at least an 80% mastery through lesson #3. I took them
aside individually and went over each line of three and asked them which of
these says ___. With Hannah (3), it is more difficult for me to tell what
she knows. I would say she has about 35-40% of lesson #1 "

Well, maybe three years old is too young to expect compelling results!

In any case, the picture listening system actually works like a real human
language. It engages students in a way that grammar/translation simply
can't. Plus students learn at a faster rate, about double.

Your biggest problem will be price, (3 CDs cost money to produce)
but if you are running a group there are group/bookstore prices available.

Contact Gary at
www.biblicalulpan.org

At the heart of the Biblical Language Center is the idea that learning
to read biblical texts in the original languages is a normal human
activity, for all those "created in the image".
Finding methods that actually work and that lead to
internalization of the languages is our job.

blessings,