[b-greek] asthenema

From: David Beaulieu (beau_dave@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 11:16:23 EST

<x-flowed>
Dear B-Greekers,
     I was wondering what any of you might offer on the word "asthenema"
as used and Romans 15:1 and generally. I see that it is translated
variously, but most interestingly to me as "scruples." I also see that
Strong's lists "a scruple of conscience" as one definition, but I wonder if
that definition is true of the word generally. I can understand from the
context why one might use the word "scruples," but I am a bit perplexed how
this relates to the sense of weakness, literally, particularly since
"scruples" and "conscience" tend not be be used as a reflection of weakness
generally. Was it so in the context of the scriptural culture? I would
appreciate any input. Thankyou once again for your time.

Regards,
Karen W. Beaulieu