[b-greek] RE: About learning Greek

From: Trevor & Julie Peterson (06peterson@cua.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 07:50:14 EST

Well, one thing is to keep reading. I presume English is your native
language, but if you went nine months without communicating with anyone
else, or using exclusively another language, you might find that you had
some trouble getting back into it. How much harder is it for a language like
ancient Greek that you probably haven't internalized. I don't know of
anything geared more specifically to your needs, but the material that
Randall Buth is developing is intended to overcome some of this. The first
course is basically all listening, with clauses and phrases set to pictures.
It gives you the chance to learn Greek in much the same way that you
probably learned English--no one explains everything to you--you just hear
some familiar stuff and some new stuff constantly applied in varying
situations, and your mind naturally sorts out the features. You might not be
able to explain all the details of the grammar in technical language, but
you know how to use it. Moving from there into reading was basically a
matter of learning to match the symbols on the page to the sound formations
in your head. One thing that makes Greek so hard to learn, the way that it's
normally taught, is that there is none of this internalization. In just
about any modern language class (except the one-semester deals that get
graduate students their reading requirements) you learn to read and speak
the language. To reduce the process to reading only tends to make it into
more of a logical puzzle that you solve rather than understand.

Of course, I'm only part-way through the first course, so I can't say too
much about how well the method works. But I do think it has an element
that's been absent in other approaches. Otherwise, I would suggest reading
regularly--until you've done so for a long time, your grasp on the language
will never be so strong that you can retain it well without constant
interaction. I would also advise, if you haven't done so already, learning
the language "both ways." Don't just learn to read--learn your vocabulary
both ways, and learn your forms well enough so that you can inflect
spontaneously. Play around with the language. Try composing some stuff in
it. Try shifting sentences that you read from first person to third. I had a
friend who would talk to himself in languages he was learning. Some people
like to try composing prayers in Greek. Whatever interests you and gets you
working creatively with the language can only help.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics