[b-greek] question concerning dictionary entries

From: Steven D. Baxley (baxley@cirkevbozi.cz)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 13:57:37 EST

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me why in Greek dictionaries, verbs seem to be listed =
under
their 1st person singular form, rather than their infinitive forms? For
example, if I look at Vine's or Strong's for the word "baptein", I find =
it
listed as "bapto" rather than "baptein". Is this a standard convention =
when
dealing with Greek verbs, or am I mistaking the infinitive form? Or am =
making some other kind of error in understanding?

For example, if I speak of the Greek word "bapto" meaning "to dip". =
Should
I say a or b?

a] "The Greek word "bapto" means "to dip".

b] "The Greek word "baptein" means "to dip."

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sincerely,
Steven D. Baxley
Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic

[MIME/HTML formatting deleted by moderator, cwc]