[b-greek] Re: LOGIZOMAI: passive or active?

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 23:17:39 EST

> In a message dated 3/10/02 4:45:57 PM, moon@sogang.ac.kr writes:
>
> >It seems that LOGIZOMAI is used both with passive (Rom 4.3-4) and active
> >meaning (1Cor 5.9). How is it possible?
> >Especially I wonder whether the LXX translation (quoted in Rom 4.3) of
> >Gen 15:6 has made the active statement of the original into the passive
> >statement. In the original, it says "Abraham believed in the Lord. He
> >counted it to him as righteousness".
> >
> The passages in question:
> Rom. 4:3-4 TI GAR hH GRAFH LEGE? EPISTEUSEN DE ABRAAM TWi QEWi KAI ELOGISQH
> AUTWi EIS DIKAIOSUNHN. 4 TWi DE ERGAZOMENWi hO MISQOS OU LOGIZETAI KATA
> CARIN ALLA KATA OFEILHMA.
>
> 1 Cor. 5:9 does not use this word. Perhaps you mean 2 Cor. 5:19 hWS hOTI
> QEOS HN EN CRISTWi KOSMON KATALLASSWN hEAUTWi, MH LOGIZOMENOS AUTOIS TA
> PARAPTWMATA AUTWN KAI QEMENOS EN hHMIN TON LOGON THS KATALLAGHS.
>
> This verb is given in the dictionaries as middle or passage and is called
> "deponent." We have many discussions of the so-called "deponent" verbs in the
> middle and passive forms.
>
> In the Romans passages it can be translated as passive, i.e., "It was
> reckoned."
>
> In the 1 Cor. passage it can be translated as intensive (or subject
> intensive), i.e, [God]
> himself did not reckon. . ."
>
> I would urge you to get into the archieves and read especially the post by
> Carl Conrad on the middle and passive forms.

Thanks for the correct reference. So, your point is that LOGIZOMAI is a
middle/passive form, which can be used as passive when the context
requires. The "active meaning", e.g. 1 Cor 13.5, 2 Cor 5:19, is actually
the middle meaning. Right?

I kept track of what Carl said on the middle/passive form, and I was
not able to apply his insight to this case. Thanks.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea