[b-greek] Re: Genesis 8:3,4 HLOTTTONOUTO

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 00:36:56 EST

on 3/14/02 10:55 PM, Suedaleg@aol.com at Suedaleg@aol.com wrote:

> Help!
>
> I have been reading Genesis in the LXX expanding my vocabulary and
> understanding of structure with the help of a couple lexicons. I have come
> opun a form which I cannot find in the lexicins though. If anyone could help
> enlighten me on this on I will greatly appreciate it. It is HLATTONOUTO. It
> looks like aorist middle indicative, but I'm not finding the form or the
> possible roots that make sense to me. Could someone give me clue on this?

Hi Dale:

The appropriate entry in LEH has ELATTONOW or ELASSONOW meaning in the
active "to diminish" and in the passive "to be diminished." In Gen 8.3 the
form is 3rd sing. imperf. pass. ind.

If you are out there, Dr. Wheeler, the lemma needs to be corrected in the
LXX module. Accordance has ELATTONEW, "to receive less, be in need."

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com