[b-greek] Re: (To Carl) The emergence of QH and QHSO forms

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 07:09:06 EST

At 2:21 AM -0500 3/15/02, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:

>Hmm, at last the Greek morphoparadigm is clearly drawn in my mind.
>I could not stand the unsymmetry that the present form of the "middle
>ending" can has both middle and passive meaning, whereas the aorist form
>of the "middle
>ending" has only the middle meaning with the QH form assigned for the
>passive meaning.

Moon, I'd urge you not to become too complacent about Greek conforming to
your psychological demand for symmetry. Grammarians and parsing manuals
will, of course, perpetuate the nonsense about -QH- passives and deponents
for generations to come. And although the -QH- forms were always capable of
representing semantic middle, passive, or intransitive, a distinction
between aorist middle and passive does seem evident in some older Attic
formulations. I called attention to one fascinating instance of this that I
discovered back in November: