[b-greek] Re: 1 Tim. 4:8a

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 18:15:27 EST

> On Sat 16 Mar 2002 (17:15:16 +0000), emory2oo2@hotmail.com wrote:
> > The only other explanation is that this opening section
> > constrasts well with what follows in the rest of the verse,
> > but how then does GAR function in 8a?
> >
> > Sure hope the answer isn't obvious :o )
> >
> Dear Mark,
>
> It seems evident to me that the hH GAR SWMATIKH GUMNASIA refers back in
> contrast to the GUMNAZH DE SEAUTON PROS EUSEBEIAN in verse 7. Physical
> exercise is profitable in a small way, but spiritual exercise is profitable
> in a big way. Or as Paul puts it, But [DE] exercise youself in godliness,
> because [GAR] bodily exercise is of limited value.

I would say that the whole 4.8 is connected to 4.7b. I might translate 4.8
as follows:

Exercise yourself in godliness.
For, while bodily exercise is of limited value, godliness is
profitable greatly with the promise of life in this life and in
the life to come.

The point is: Exercise yourself in godliness because godliness is
profitable
greatly.

When we have a sentence GAR S1, de S2, often S2 is the main thesis of
the sentence while S1 provides some setting for S2.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea