[b-greek] Mark 1:5 and the people's confessing

From: Daniel E. Barnes (happydan1@attbi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 17:34:06 EST

I have a question concerning the participle present middle EXOMOLOGOUMENOI
in Mark 1:5.

KAI EBAPTIZONTO hUP' AUTOU EN TW IORDANH POTAMW EXOMOLOGOUMENOI TAS
hAMARTIAS AUTWN.

I have seen translations use something like, "And while confessing their
sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River." I have seen also seen
that the participle is also sometimes translated as "after ...ing". (is this
only for the participle aorist?) So my question is could the participle
EXOMOLOGOUMENOI be understood this way giving a translation along the lines
of "And after confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan
River." Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I am just playing around on my own
right now until I take Greek next semester.

Daniel E. Barnes