[b-greek] Re: Titus 1:1

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 20:37:26 EST

Mark Wilson wrote:

> PAULOS DOULOS QEOU APOSTOLOS DE IHSOU CRISTOU
> KATA PISTIN EKLEKTWN QEOU KAI EPIGNWSIN ALHQEIAS THS KAT' EUSEBEIAN
>
> Is Paul saying that he is a bondslave and apostle
> based on his faith? I'm not quite understanding what
> it means by "the faith of God's elect."
>
> How does THS function here? Should we understand it in this way:
>
> THS [ALHQEIAS] KAT' EUSEBEIAN
>
> Thank you
>
> Mark Wilson

Mark,

EKLEKTWN is plural, so it can't be referring to Paul's faith, but the faith of those
whom God has chosen and to whom Paul has been sent. I would take the first KATA to
be reference or specification. THS, as a genitive, ties the phrase KAT' EUSEBEIAN
back to ALHQEIAS. It is the truth which accords with godliness that Paul has in
mind. I would render it something like, "Paul a slave of God, and an apostle of
Jesus Christ with regard to the faith of those chosen by God and the knowledge of the
truth which accords with godliness".

Jim Murray
Racine, WI