[b-greek] Re: noun phrase, etc.

From: Daniel Riaņo (danielrr@eresmas.net)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 13:21:07 EST

<x-flowed>
I have been working (for my own use) on a syntactic editor that I
used to parse 40.000 words of Luke and Acts (as well as other authors
of classical Greek literature). I was wandering what to do with the
editor and the corpus after I am over with the work it was intended
to (by the end of this year or beginning of 2003). The editor
provides a pretty extensive marking of the text, as well as a search
engine to recover any information you added to the text. It also
draws trees of the parsed sentences (it can also export the results
in the for of bracketed analysis, etc.). For every sentence, the text
is marked as follows:

Full morphological analysis of every word (even elliptic terms!)
including a description of the Wortbildung (prefixes, suffixes,
infixes) of most words.
Full analysis of the immediate constituents of every sentence: for
every constituent, **both** a tag with its syntactical function and a
description of its constituents skeleton (in SN, SP, SV, etc terms)
is given.
A rather extensive semantic analysis of most words (excluding high
problematic POS like the semantics of particles; to give you a clue,
the verbs are annotated with a media of 9 syntactical tags).
Anaphoric annotation of most elements: if you click on AU)TO/N at
Act.Ap.1.6 you are told that its referent is )IESOU=S, that appears
for the first time as the 13th. word of Act.Ap.1.1 (the same thing
happens if you click on the 14th or 17th words of Act.Ap.1.1 two
infinitives with Iesous as the subject)
The speaker of every word is [read: will be] annotated.
Several other annotations (quoted text, some idioms, etc).

For example, you can ask the program to return, activity verbs
governing a DO (of any of several types) and a IO, only if the verb
is placed before/after the OD, etc, etc.

Since the whole program rests on my syntactical & morphological
analysis, etc, the output of a search will be (as Clayton wrote) not
a function of the GNT, but a function of my analysis of it, but it
may be better than nothing. My program is not the kind of very
sophisticated, ultra fast and elegant software product that
Accordance is, but it contains a lot more syntactical information (I
like to think it has some elegance, too). It is not the product of a
team including software developers but rather a computer by product
of a linguist and philologist that took many years to develop.

I was wandering if there is a commercial of academic viability for
such program and database. Of course, it will not be ready
immediately: I have to refine much of the semantic analysis and make
the interface more user friendly (and not just Daniel friendly), but
if you know somebody (firma, departament) who may be interested in
it, I'd love to hear from them. I would rather not send the program
or the data now to third parties, but I'll be glad to perform some
searches on request as examples of the program's utility.