[b-greek] Re: ECONTES in rom 8.23

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 18:54:44 EST

> > Rom 8.23: OU MONON DE, ALLA\ KAI AUTOI THN APARCHN TOU PNEUMATOS ECONTES,
> > hHMEIS KAI AUTOI EN hEAUTOIS STENAZOMEN hUIOQESIAN APEKDECOMENOI, THN
> > APOLUTRWSIN TOU SWMATOS hHMWN.
> >
> > It seems that KAI AUTOI are emphatic, being repeated later in the sentence.
> > My trouble is in understanding ECONTES. Is it adjectival, qualifying AUTOI
> > (or implied hHMEIS, which is explicit later in the sentence)? Or is it
> > adverbial, modifying STENAZOMEN? Or does it have a function that I have
> > overlooked?
> > ============
> >
> > Steven Lo Vullo
> > Madison, WI
> > slovullo@mac.com
>
> ECONTES works as an adversative participle in this case (= although we
> have).

It seems that this interpretation is more specific than does the text
allows.
Steve's question should be clarified. What do you, Steve, mean by
"qualifying
AUTOI"? Most translations have "also ourselves, who have the first fruit
of
Spirit, ...". Here, "which have the first fruit of Spirit" does describe
"ourselves", though not restrict what constitute "us" ["we" is already
known in the context of the letter.]. I think this translation is good
enough,
with some ambiguity in terms of the logical relationship between ECONTES
clause the main clause. But I am not sure which category (adjectival or
adverbial) it belongs.

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea