[b-greek] re: hOS in Romans 8:32

From: Frank Gee (frankrgee@outpost.net.au)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 05:38:24 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>Dear Steven,<BR>In reply to your message of 26/O3/02 2:45PM, (qv
below),<BR><BR>I was putting together a response with some of the same points
ably made by<BR>Iver Larsen (26/03/02 7:15PM), and became so immersed in
concordance<BR>searching that I neglected to push my SEND button - so he beat me
to it!<BR><BR>Iver has helpfully pointed out that the translation offered by
BAGD for<BR>Romans 8:32 would have to be a rendition of&nbsp; ... KAI TOU IDIOU
hUIOU&nbsp; (and<BR>thus not a correct translation for the ... GE ...&nbsp;
clause at all.)&nbsp; Quite<BR>apart from the contradiction between their
translation and the functional<BR>description for GE at the head of their
article - no wonder you were<BR>confused!<BR><BR>Rather than repeat anything
else already explained by Iver, let me just draw<BR>attention to something which
reinforces his comment about the GE indicating<BR>"emphasis to the [whole]
clause (or proposition) it is part of".&nbsp; In SIL's<BR>BART&nbsp; (Biblical
Analysis and Research Tool), the grammar tag categorising GE<BR>is QS,&nbsp;
that is,&nbsp; Sentential Particle.&nbsp; This will encourage&nbsp; us to look
for<BR>exegetical clues in the context, rather than applying some rule
depending<BR>upon proximity to one particular word in the particle's own
clause.<BR><BR>Before I came upon BART's grammar-tag definition, I was positing
a new term<BR>of my own for GE, such as Conjunction Nuancer.&nbsp; [I wondered
for a while<BR>whether it could be classed as an Adverb, but rejected this as
both lacking<BR>in precision, and as not fitting into the traditional definition
of Adverb<BR>as a modifier of verbs, adjectives or other adverbs.]&nbsp; There
is only one<BR>thing which gives me pause before seriously coining this
definition of the<BR>function of GE.&nbsp;&nbsp; That is the intrusion of the
word OFELON&nbsp; between KAI and<BR>GE at the front of the fourth clause in I
Corinthians 4:8 -&nbsp; KAI OFELON GE<BR>EBASILEUSATE.&nbsp;&nbsp; (ALL the
other uses of&nbsp; GE in GNT, including&nbsp; its<BR>combinative forms such as
ARAGE and MENOUNGE, seem to show GE providing some<BR>nuance of meaning for the
conjunction(s) which it follows.)<BR>Unless the placement of the GE after OFELON
in I Cor. 4:8 is for reasons of<BR>euphony only, this admittedly single
exception to the prevailing pattern<BR>would seem to support the BART
"functionalist" definition.<BR><BR>It seems to me that this is a case in point
where a Functionalist approach<BR>to grammatical analysis is more useful to us
than some of the traditional<BR>definitions of&nbsp; words-functions, especially
for flexible, nuance-adding<BR>particles like GE.<BR><BR>Applying such an
approach, we would see the GE as adding an emphatic nuance<BR>to the hOS clause
of which it is part.&nbsp; This function of GE thus<BR>differentiates the
function of the relative clause from other functions it<BR>could have in other
contexts, such as simple coordination (ie adding another<BR>merely incidental
piece of information about the antecedent of hOS, or that<BR>function of a hOS
clause which distinguishes the antecedent from other<BR>possible members in a
class, which we could call the "Defining Relative<BR>Clause".<BR>We might see
its (GE)&nbsp; function here as similar to a that of the clause-
or<BR>phrase-straddling combination OU MONON&nbsp; ... ALLA KAI,&nbsp; thus
producing a<BR>dynamic equivalent in this context to:&nbsp;&nbsp; hO THEOS OU
MONON hUPER hHMWN<BR>(ESTIN)... ALLA KAI&nbsp; TON IDION hUION hUPER hHMWN
PAREDWKEN.<BR><BR>Hoping these observations may be of some interest to
you,<BR>with best wishes,<BR><BR>Frank Gee&nbsp;&nbsp; (Rev.)<BR>Old exegete,
novice student of Linguistics<BR>Jamberoo,&nbsp; Australia<BR><BR>----- Original
Message -----<BR>From: Steven Lo Vullo &lt;<A
href="mailto:slovullo@mac.com">slovullo@mac.com</A>&gt;<BR></DIV>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>