[b-greek] Re: The Right Preposition

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 06:44:43 EST

At 3:52 PM -0500 3/25/02, Richard Ghilardi wrote:
>Dear B-greekers,
>
>I am attempting to memorize Romans 8 from my GNT. So far I've got the
>first 8 vss down pretty solidly. But I've bumped up against a practical
>problem. I cite the reference as well as the vss in Greek but I'm not
>sure what preposition to use when citing a range of vss. For example in
>English we say:
>
>"Romans eight one through (to) four"
>
>In Greek I would say:
>
>"PROS hRWMAIOUS OKTW hEIS (EIS, DIA, PROS, EPI, PARA, hEWS) (TESSARAS,
>TESSARWN)"
>
>Which prep. should I use? (Perhaps one I have not listed)
>
>Which prep. did the ancient writers use when citing a range of numerals?

I must say this strikes me (and I speak ONLY for myself) as a rather
perverse sort of exercise, although perhaps no more perverse than our
efforts one Saturday afternoon several years ago on this list to translate
Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" into Koine Greek. Of course the sectioning
into verses is a later development and in enough instances questionable in
its execution, so why make it part of a learning exercise. All of which
doesn't respond to the question.

I think that the proper preposition is DIA with the genitive, since that
tends to be inclusive of first and last elements in a series. Seems to me
that references I've seen in ancient writers for citations tend to offer
something like "hOUTWS DH GRAFEI hO PLATWN EN TWi TETARTWi (BIBLIWi) THS
POLITEIAS ..." So how would one refer to the verses? I dunno: STICOS is
used of a line of prose the length of a dactylic hexameter and occasionally
for a chapter. But these chapter and verse divisions are not original in
any case.