[b-greek] Re: Ephesians 4:26

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 17:28:35 EST

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 3/26/2002 12:36:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com writes:
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
<BR>&gt; Dear Manolis,
<BR>&gt; I am enjoying your posts. Thanks. Would you mind explaning the last
<BR>&gt; statement?
<BR>&gt; Are commands more analytical than participial clauses?
<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; Moon
<BR>&gt; Moon R. Jung
<BR>&gt; Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>Dear Moon,
<BR>
<BR>I'm really happy for enjoying you with my posts. However, before being
<BR>ironical, you should have taken into consideration the fact that Greek is
<BR>my mother tongue: &nbsp;since KOINH, from which modern Greek is derived, is not
<BR>to me a "foreign" tongue the way it is to you, let me assume that its
<BR>vocabulary, grammar and syntax are much more familiar to me than they are
<BR>to you, no?
<BR>
<BR>Now. Unless you try to be more specific and make clear whether you
<BR>disagree or not (and why) with my assumption that "ORGIZESQE KAI MH
<BR>AMARTANETE" is equal to "ORGIZOMENOI MH AMARTANETE", I'm afraid I can't
<BR>give a satisfactory answer to the question of yours. However, I haven't
<BR>said that "commands are more analytical than participial clauses", but
<BR>that structures like "ORGIZESQE KAI MH AMARTANETE" (instead of the much
<BR>more clear "ORGIZOMENOI MH AMARTANETE") should be interpreted as a result
<BR>of the gradual replacement of the participial structures in later Greek by
<BR>more analytical equivalents.
<BR>
<BR>Well, dear Moon, I hope I've managed to entertain you for once more.
<BR>
<BR>Regards,
<BR>Manolis Nikolaou
<BR>Greece
<BR>_____________________</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>Manolis,
<BR>
<BR>I don't believe Moon was attempting to be ironic by his statement. &nbsp;I might remind you that although English is not your native language (and you may therefore be sensitive that someone might consider your English humorous at times), Moon's native language, to the best of my knowlege, IS ALSO NOT ENGLISH. &nbsp;I think rather that he was honestly puzzled (as I am) by your statement
<BR>
<BR>"that structures like 'ORGIZESQE KAI MH AMARTANETE' (instead of the much more clear 'ORGIZOMENOI MH AMARTANETE') should be interpreted as a result
<BR>of the gradual replacement of the participial structures in later Greek by
<BR>more analytical equivalents."
<BR>
<BR>If you can avoid feeling insulted, I too would like to understand what you mean by this.
<BR>
<BR>gfsomsel</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>