[b-greek] Re: Romans 5:15

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 09:39:36 EST

> >From: "Jack Stewart" <jack_stewart_@hotmail.com>
> >Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:46:27 +0000
> >
> >Dear All,
> >
> >I am having a little trouble attempting to understand a small point
> >regarding the syntax of Romans 5:15. In the second half of the verse there
>
> >appears the article TH (sg.dat.fem.) after (I think) the noun to which it
> >belongs. Is there a reason for this, or does the article indicate
> something
> >else altogether?
> >
> >Many thanks!
> >
> >Jack Stewart
>
> hH DWREA EN CARITI THi TOU hENOS ANQRWPOU IHSOU CRISTOU
>
> Hi Jack.
>
> In this case, THi is not an article but a relative pronoun (sometimes known
> as a "postpostive article.) The two are distinct in form for sg.nom.mas (hO
> for the article, hOS for the relative pronoun), but are indistinguishable in
> form for fem.

Glenn,
I could not resist looking up the paradigm tables. But my suspicision was
right. The sg.dat.fem of the relative prounoun is hHi, not THi.
Do I miss something here?

> Hence, I would translate Romans 5:15 ". . . grace *which* [is] of one man,
> Jesus Christ."

Yes, I agree with you. THi in this case is best described as a relative
prounoun in front of a verbless sentence. So, we have a "major relative
pronoun" and a "minor relative pronoun". The minor relative pronoun
has the same form as the article. I know that this is not a traditional
analysis of the phrase. But to me, it makes much more sense to me and
simpler
than the traditional one. This analysis is what Iver argued for in this
list,
and I accept it.

Moon
Moon R. Jung