[b-greek] ERCETAI ... EIS TO MNHMEION in John 20:1

From: Peter Ballard (pballard@radlogic.com.au)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 22:21:29 EST

G'day all,

I am looking at whether it is possible to resolve Mark 16:2
and John 20:1 on the question of what time the women went
to the tomb of Jesus.

John 20:1 says, that Mary:
ERCETAI PRWI SKOTIAS ETI OUSHS EIS TO MNHMEION

"PRWI SKOTIAS ETI OUSHS" I think is clear enough, at least for
my purposes ("early, while it was still dark" or similar.
i.e. before sunrise).

The question I have is to do with the ERCETAI ... EIS TO MNHMEION.

The NIV translates this "went to the tomb".
This translation suggests that Mary TRAVELLED while it dark,
and allows the possibility that it became light during the
journey (thus allowing a harmonisation with Mark 16:2, which
has them arriving after sunrise).

However it seems to me that the use of EIS rather than PROS
(note that PROS is used in 20:2 when Mary goes back to get Peter)
means that "came to the tomb" (as in the NRSV) is a better translation,
carrying the sense that Mary ARRIVED AT the tomb when it was dark.

So I have two questions:

1. Is the sense "ARRIVED AT THE TOMB" the more likely meaning;

2. Is the sense "TRAVELLED TO THE TOMB" even a *possible* meaning.

Regards,

Peter Ballard
Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
pballard@ozemail.com.au