[b-greek] Re: Eta + Upsilon diphthong

From: Eric S. Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 22:59:20 EST

> At 1:41 PM -0600 3/31/02, Eric Weiss wrote:
> >Re: the HU diphthong:

> >The Erasmian pronunciation, per my NT Greek grammars, of HU is "ew" as
> >in "few," just like the diphthong EU. None of my Modern Greek grammars
> >list this diphthong and/or say how to pronounce it. Maybe it doesn't
> >exist in Modern Greek.

> >For reading the New Testament with Modern Greek pronunciation, Spiros
> >Zodhiates shows on his pronunciation card that HU is to be pronounced as
> >"eef" or "eev", which he distinguishes from EU, which he shows to
> >pronounce as "ef" or "ev".

> >SO ... what is the consensus on the "Modern Greek" pronunciation of HU,
> >or how would a Modern Greek pronounce this diphthong if he/she
> >encounters it in the NT?
>
> You mean as in hHURISKON (impf. of hEURISKW in Mk 14:55): "eevreeskon"?
> --

> Carl W. Conrad
> Department of Classics, Washington University (Emeritus)
> Most months:: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(828) 675-4243
> cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad@ioa.com
> WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/

hHURISKON would indeed be an example of such, and, per Zodhiates, it would
be pronounced "eevreeskon" as you say, if spoken by a Modern Greek
speaker.

I assume from my one skimpy Modern Greek grammar (MODERN GREEK - Teach
Yourself series, S. A. Sofroniou) and my Berlitz tape & pronunciation key
on "Greek For Travellers" that the HU diphthong does NOT occur in modern
Greek, as neither of them list it. Is this correct, or do these "grammars"
omit the HU diphthong by accident?

Even if the HU diphthong does not exist in Modern Greek, I assume from
Zodhiates that a Greek person who read the Koine Greek NT aloud would
pronounce HU as "eev/eef". Is Zodhiates correct on this?