[b-greek] Eph. 6:9

From: Jack Stewart (jack_stewart_@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 09:31:37 EDT

<x-flowed>

Dear All,

Thanks for the help on the previous question today - I have another query
regarding EFESIOUS, this time from 6:9, where we read:

EIDOTES OTI KAI AUTWN KAI UMWN O KURIOS ESTIN EN OURANOIS

seemingly very simple...my only question is: why can't this be translated:
"knowing that both their and your Lord is in heaven" - my real problem here
is the way in which some translations deal with the ESTIN, by rendering the
passage as: "knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in
heaven" (ASV). I think that there is not really much difference in the
actual meaning of my version and the ASV version, but the way in which the
ESTIN is dealt with seems to be significantly different. Is the phrase "he
who is", or a phrase like it, necessary?

Any ideas?

Jack Stewart

UK