[b-greek] Re: prin Abraam genesthai egw eimi

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 06:01:04 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Iver Larsen <iver_larsen@sil.org>

> > on 4/17/02 1:15 AM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> Yes, what I wrote is not what I meant and I made a hurried mistake by
> writing YHWH rather than the eheyeh I was thinking of. I am not proficient
> in Hebrew and not familiar with the proper transliteration of Hebrew. What
> was thinking of but did not check was the LXX of Ex 3:14 where eheyeh
asher
> eheyeh (I am who I am) is rendered EGW EIMI hO WN. And I was thinking of
the
> normal way in Orthodox Greek tradition to use the hO WN as a title.

Iver,

You are correct in this assumption of hO WN as a title in the Orthodox
tradition. While Clay is right to point out the usage is not universal, the
Orthodox Church does connect the Exodus appearance with John's EGW EIMI hO
WN. Revelations makes the usage clearer.

In Orthodox iconography of Christ this title will appear in the letters
inside the "halo" around the head of Christ.

Steve Puluka
Cantor Holy Ghost Church (Carpatho-Rusyn)
Mckees Rocks PA
www.geocities.com/spuluka