[b-greek] RE: Thessalonikeis' Infinitive!

From: Manolis Nikolaou (aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 09:49:14 EDT

> In a message dated 4/20/2002 5:13:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,=20
> aei_didaskomenos@hotmail.com writes:
>
> I agree: an implied TINOS (not TINA) or EMOU would be the best way to
> understand the passage:
>
> OU CREIAN ECETE EMOU GRAFEIN UMIN.
> _____________________
>
> That would be a genitive. I thought the subject of the infinitive was alway=
> s=20
> in the accusative. Smyth states [I have taken the liberty of numbering his=20
> examples]
> ____________________________
> =A7936. Subject of the Infinitive.--The subject of the infinitive is in the=20
> accusative:
>
> 1. EKELEUON AUTOUS PROEUESQAI
>
> They ordered that they should proceed X.A.4.2.1.
> a. See 1975. On the nominative subject of the infinitive, see 1973.
> ______________________
>
> =A71973. When the subject of the infinitive is the same as that of the=20
> governing verb, it is omitted, and a predicate noun stands in the nominative=
> =20
> case.=20
>
> 2. OIMAI EIDENAI=20
>
> I think that I know P.Pr. 312e,
>
> 3. PERSHS EFH EINAI=20
>
> he said he was a Persian X.A.4.4.17,=20
>
> 4. EGW OUK hOMOLOGHSW AKLHTOS HKEIN
>
> I shall not admit that I have come uninvited P.S. 174d,=20
>
> 5. hOMOLOGEIS PERI EME ADIKOS GEGENHSQAI?
>
> DO YOU ADMIT THAT YOU HAVE BEEN GUILTY AS REGARDS ME? x.a.1.6.8 (CF. 4.2.27=20
> IN 2263).
> _____________________
>
> In both sections Smyth mentions a nominative case. The problem is that it i=
> s=20
> OMITTED. The one exception is example #3 above. PERSHS is a nominative. I=
> t=20
> is declinable, and the accusative is PERSEA. Nevertheless, I'm curious why=20
> Manolis would give the genitive as the subject when the preferred subject of=
> =20
> the infinitive is the accusative. I realize that FILADELFIAS is in the=20
> genitive, but I would still expect the accusative. Perhaps he can enlighten=
> =20
> us regarding this. Alternatively, does one of our classical experts [hint,=20
> hint, Carl] know whether this is a modern development or is it true in other=
> =20
> periods as well?
>
> gfsomsel

OU CREIAN ECETE EMOU GRAFEIN UMIN.

George, I thought the genitive EMOU (or TINOS) would be more appropriate
than an accusative in this case, because the object of CREIAN ECW is
always a noun in genitive:

OU CREIAN ECOUSI OI ISCUONTES IATROU (Matthew 9:12)
OU CREIAN ECOUSI METANOIAS (Luke 15:7)

However, you are probably right about the declension (accusative) in which
the subject of the infinitive should be. In case the -implied- subject was
in genitive, a participle would have probably been more appropriate than
an infinitive:

PERI DE THS FILADELFIAS OU CREIAN EXETE EMOU GRAFONTOS UMIN.

By the way, I would also like to ask dear Mr. Conrad to provide some
information about the use of the two-subject structure in KOINH (compared
with the classical use).

Regards,
Manolis Nikolaou
Greece