[b-greek] re: First Year Greek

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 13:12:21 EDT

shalom Dale,

I appreciate your comments and am grateful for anyone pursuing paths
for greater efficiency.

A question:
Wouldn't it be more correct to say that the mnemonics that Story
uses teach a metalanguage (English-based) rather than the language
itself?
E.g., rather than have a student know ANASTHQI and KAQOU so
well that they stand up and sit down when they hear it, my impression
of Story was that they would learn trigger words for AORISTS and
SUBJUNCTIVES and English vocabulary tags.
Having said that, of course, I would expect students to do well in
a parsing type test.

A second question:
Do you have any Greek tests in Greek?

>As some of you know, I've been using Story & Story _Greek To Me_ for
almost
>20 years now teaching first year Greek, and I am still impressed year
after
>year as to how well my students (usually about 30-35 a year) learn Greek
>with this book and cards.

ERRWSO

Randall Buth