[b-greek] Re: Galatians 2:16 EAN MH

From: Daniel L. Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 18:31:49 EST

Glenn Blank wrote [snipped]:

> BTW, Iver, I'm not sure what the difference is between <if not A then not B>
> and <only if A then B>. Logically, they are equivalent. But how are they
> different linguistically?

    There actually is a logical difference between the two propositions, as stated.
The first <if not A then not B> will not ever _necessarily_ result in the occurence
of B, since the inverse <if A then B> is not required. That is, under the
strictures of this proposition, even when A is true, B may still be false.
    On the other hand, the second proposition <only if A then B> will _necessarily_
produce B, in any situation where A is true. This second proposition <only if A
then B> includes within itself the first <if not A then not B>, but goes one step
beyond in its necessary implications.
    I suppose that one could be very picky, and say that the second proposition must
have another "if" included <if and only if A then B> to necessarily require the
production of B in A's fulfillment. But, that is normally the sense of the "only
if" phrasing, as I understand it.

FWIW, Daniel
--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Professor, Bible & Theology, Biblical Languages