[b-greek] Re: UBS4/NA27

From: Eric S. Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 13:11:30 EST

> What do the "gaps" in the text between some sentences in N-A 27 mean?
> E.g., my N-A 26 at work has a space between Acts 23:5 and 23:6 and between
> 23:9 and 23:10 even though it is all part of one big paragraph. Some of
> these space gaps seem to correspond to the paragraphing of the RSV
> translation in my diglot N-A 27 Greek-English New Testament, but not all
> do. They don't seem to be simply for the purpose of "justifying" the text
> left-to-right. Do these indicate minor "paragraphs" within a larger
> paragraph unit in the minds of the N-A authors?

Not all such "gapped" text sections have the following sentence start with
a capital letter, so I don't think it's to indicate a new sub-paragraph.
Unfortunately, the two examples I gave DO have the sentence after the
gap/white space starting with capitals so it gives the impression that all
these gaps denote new paragraphs. But the space between John 13:5 and 13:6
does NOT have the succeeding sentence (John 13:6) starting with a capital.
Maybe THAT really is just for "justifying" the text left-to-right.