[b-greek] Re: Participant Reference in John 18:15

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 14:15:27 EST

> However, the issue of how John deals with multiple labels. names, titles,
> epithets is still an open question. Does he always re-introduce a
> participant when a new label is used? I don't think so. Look at:
>
> JOHN 4:46 HLQEN OUN PALIN EIS THN KANA THS GALILAIAS, hOPOU EPOIHSEN TO
> hUDWR OINON. KAI HN TIS BASILIKOS hOU hO hUIOS HSQENEI EN KAFARNAOUM.
>
> Here we see an introduction formula which is very explicit (TIS
> BASILIKOS .
> . . KAFARNAOUM). Now down in Jn 4:50 TIS BASILIKOS . . . is
> referred to as
> hO ANQRWPOS. This "label" is not re-introduced since it is co-referential
> with TIS BASILIKOS. That is the substance of my original question.

You have many nice examples of participant introduction and tracking of
participants. It is an interesting and important discourse topic. One aspect
for the writer is to make clear who is being referred to. Another aspect is
what is communicated by using a title or pronoun. It often indicates the
relative status of the participants. Both aspects come into play
simultaneously.
In 4:46 the person is introduced by an adjective, so the noun ANQRWPOS is
implicitly understood in TIS BASILIKOS (ANQRWPOS).
In 47 he is referred to as hOUTOS, in 48 where Jesus is testing his faith
and attitude, he is referred to as AUTOS and Jesus by name. In 49, the
referencing switches to indicate who takes the initiative or who is in
temporary focus: LEGEI PROS AUTON hO BASILIKOS (ANQRWPOS), KURIE... A member
of the royal court could easily have been offended by Jesus' remark (think
of Na'aman), but he showed his faith by saying "Lord" and repeating his
faith in the power of Jesus to heal the son. Here it is important that he is
BASILIKOS. In 50, his status is not important. He is an ordinary man and
father returning to his son with new hope.

And as you said, John veils references to himself in his Gospel. Once people
have read the whole gospel and remember how John outran Peter to the tomb
but waiting for Peter to enter first, as a young disciple showing respect to
an older leader, then there are strong reasons to believe that the nameless
disciple in 18:15 was young John himself.

Iver Larsen