[b-greek] Re: Pronunciation and subjunctives

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 06:37:28 EST

<x-flowed>
At 23:43 02/04/02, Vince Endris wrote:

>Leaving aside the question that we really don't know what Jesus spoke, is
>it true that the pronunciation had already evolved to what we have today
>in the time of Jesus and the biblical writers?

Vince:

I recommend that you consult:
Horrocks, Geoffrey. Greek: A History of the Language and Its Speakers.
London: Longman, 1997

There you will find a very different -- and altogether more authoritative
-- answer as to the evolution of pronunciation over the centuries.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie