[b-greek] Government and Binding Theory

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 02:39:48 EST

shalom Brian,

>Does G&B have application to teaching
>advanced Greek? Are there articles out there on this topic? Does anyone
>have suggestions on the validity of Chomsky's approach to syntax?<

Chomsky already left GB for his minimalist approach.

I left EST generative/transformational for Dik's Functional Grammar
twenty years ago and remain happy with its general approach to
human language and syntax. It includes a 'psychological adequacy' and
'pragmatic adequacy' in addition to the Humskian 'descriptive adequacy'.
(PS: Humsky is how the name is pronounced here in Hebrew.)

blessings

Randall Buth