[b-greek] Re: why miniscule?

From: Matthew Miller (biblicalscribe@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 12:12:26 EST

<x-flowed>
Hi,
I for one would gladly welcome a change to uncials. I think it is more
accurate, and would train students better. If you can read uncials with no
spaces, you learn to recognize individual words better, and you learn how to
deal with context better. I wholeheartedly agree. Matt Miller

>From: James Forsyth <james@bigbeing.com.au>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: [b-greek] Re: why miniscule?
>Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 17:39:29 +1000
>
>Hi Peter,
>
>Perhaps one could say the same for accents as well. Didn't uncial scripts
>dispense with them?
>
>I personally find some cursive PHIs and KAIs inconvenient.
>
>James Forsyth
>
>At 04:37 PM 4/04/02 -0500, you wrote:
>>Why are our modern Greek texts still in miniscule?
>>Should this practice be changed?
>>I can see the following advantages of changing to uncial:
>>1) The text would more accurately reflect the earliest and most important
>>manuscripts (and the lost autographs)
>>2) It would make it easier for students to compare their printed Gk NT
>>with photographs/fascimiles of the papyri and early codices
>>3) Students would have to cope with only 24 letters, rather than 49 (plus
>>breathings, accents etc). No need to learn rules about beginning
>>paragraphs, direct speech and names with capitals
>>4) Maybe most important. It would make the whole science of textual
>>criticism easier. For example, itacisms would be simpler to identify, it
>>becomes more apparent how an epsilon and a (lunate) sigma can be confused.

>>Peter Smithers
>>(MA Theology - Cambridge; MA Islamic Learning - Karachi)
>>(Research & Training Officer)
>>WORD OF LIFE
>>67 Louth Road, Sheffield, S11 7AU, UK
>>email: smithersp@aol.com
>>
>>---
>>B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek
>>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [james@bigbeing.com.au]
>>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>>leave-b-greek-327Q@franklin.oit.unc.edu
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [biblicalscribe@hotmail.com]
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>leave-b-greek-327Q@franklin.oit.unc.edu

"Invariably exacerbating and complicated verbage consistently effects in me
repulsion of prolific proportions."