[b-greek] Re: Split Infinitives? ENOUGH ALREADY!

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 06:11:47 EST

At 9:43 PM -0500 4/5/02, Polycarp66@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/5/2002 9:15:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>wmhboyd@aol.com writes:
>

>>Since the subject has been raised. Are there split infinitives in the
>>Greek N. T.?

Um soetwas definitiv fest-zu-stellen ...

You might find instances of "tmesis" involving adverbial "prefixes" and the
actual infinitives in Homer and, by way of imitation, in later hexameter
poets. But that's not a legitimate "split infinitive" in any case, and no,
we don't find any such thing in the GNT.

>LOL! I thought Glenn dealt with that question.

Could we please call a halt to this discussion of "normative" English grammar?