[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor 3:15 (The force of the future indicative)

From: Steven Lo Vullo (slovullo@mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 06:03:34 EDT

on 4/1/02 1:40 AM, Moon-Ryul Jung at moon@sogang.ac.kr wrote:

> Excellent!
> My comments below.
>

> Steve, in his reponse to my post, said that this passage talks about three
> types of leaders. The last type is talked about in vv 16-17. Only they
> will be destroyed. Hmm, I simply thought that two types of people
> are described here. So, my interpretation of v 15 was influenced by
> vv 16-17.
>
> Are there any clues that three types of leaders are talked about in this
> passage?

Aside from what I have already said in my latest post, let me add just a few
more comments.

(1) There is no explicit link between the careless BUILDER of v. 15 and the
active DESTROYER of v. 17. The grammar, syntax, and lexicology of v. 15
SHOULD NOT be trampled on for the sake of some hypothetical correlation
between the one who is DESTROYED in v. 17 and the one who is SAVED in v. 15.

(2) The "builders" of vv. 14 and 15 BOTH build (cf. v. 12) on the same
"foundation" (QEMELIOS, v. 10), which is the basic gospel message of Christ.
The careless builder as well as the conscientious builder recognize the one
foundation. They are BOTH building on the same gospel message. The careless
builder DOES NOT deny the gospel! The difference between the two is that one
builds on the foundational message with quality materials and the other with
inferior materials (hOPOION, 3.13). The difference is in QUALITY.

(3) The one who "destroys" does not recognize the foundation at all. Note
the correlation between 1 Cor 3.5 and 15.11, 12:

1 Cor 3.5: TI OUN ESTIN APOLLOWS? TI DE ESTIN PAULOS? DIAKONOI DI' hWN
**EPISTEUSATE**.
What, then, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you
**believed**.

1 Cor 15.11-12: EITE OUN EGW EITE EKEINOI, hOUTWS KHRUSSOMEN KAI hOUTWS
**EPISTEUSATE**. EI DE CRISTOS KHRUSSETAI hOTI EK NEKRWN EGHGERTAI, PWS
LEGOUSIN EN hUMIN TINES hOTI ANASTASIS NEKRWN OUK ESTIN?
So whether I or they, so we preach and so you **believed**. But if Christ is
preached, that he has been raised from the dead, how is it that some of you
say that there is no resurrection?

Note that in the context of 1 Cor 3 the "foundational" message of Paul was
that which the Corinthians "believed" (1 Cor 3.5). This must have included
the message of the resurrection, since 1 Cor 15.11 indicates that they
"believed" this as a component of the "foundational" gospel message that
Paul and others preached. But Paul goes on to indicate that some rejected
this "foundational" component of the gospel (1 Cor 15.12). So, it seems some
were building on the foundational message with "cheap" building materials,
while others were denying the foundational message altogether. The former
are the careless builders of 1 Cor 3:15; the latter are the "destroyers" of
the temple of God singled out in 3.17. It is important to note the
difference: The careless builder nevertheless builds upon the foundation;
the "destroyer" denies the foundation altogether.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI
slovullo@mac.com