[b-greek] Re: EK PISTEWS EIS PISTIN (Ro 1.17)

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 00:05:51 EDT

<x-html>
<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 4/9/2002 4:25:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dbielby@juno.com writes:
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">If I'm understanding this passage correctly, the lexical entries that
<BR>permit PISTEWS to be translated as faithfulness probably cannot be applied
<BR>to this passage. &nbsp;Are there any grammars that deal specifically with this
<BR>issue? &nbsp;I noticed the NIV renders it differently from the NKJV. &nbsp;Neither
<BR>rendering fits with the phrase 'faithfulness to faith'.
<BR>
<BR>I really don't know which option is correct...and I cannot remember where
<BR>in my Grammars to look to double check this. &nbsp;A correlary to this that may
<BR>be off list, but I would be interested to read private notes concerning
<BR>would be the practical theological implications of the three options for
<BR>this phrase...since it's such a key passage to the book of Romans.
<BR>__________________</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>DIKAIOSUNH GAR QEOU EN AUTWi APOKALUPTETAI EK PISTEWS EIS PISTIN, KAQWS GEGRAPTAI; hO DE DIKAIOS EK PISTEWS ZHSETAI.
<BR>
<BR>You really should include the text even though most of us look it up anyway. &nbsp;That way we can be sure that we're looking at the correct text.
<BR>
<BR>BGAD, s.v., PISTIS has
<BR>
<BR>d. PISTIS is found mostly without an obj., faith—a. as true piety, genuine religion (Sextus 7a and 7), which for our lit. means being a Christian: Lk 18:8 (s. on this Jülicher, Gleichn. 288); 22:32; Ac 6:5=vs. 8 t.r.; cf. 11:24.-6:7; 13:8; 14:22; 15:9; 16:5; Ro 1:5, 8, 12, 17a, b (EK PISEWS EIS PISTIN does not mean a gradation [as, in a way, Appian, Mithrid. 40 §154: Sulla came upon hETERON hOMOION EC hETEROU=one wall, i.e., fortification, after another similar one] or a transition from one kind to another [Himerius, Or.=Ecl. 10, 6 EK WiDHS EIS WiDHN ALLHN METEBALON=they changed from one kind of song to another], it merely expresses in a rhetorical way the thought that PISTIS is the beginning and the end;
<BR>
<BR>gfsomsel</FONT>
---<BR>
B-Greek home page: http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek>
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [
jwrobie@mindspring.com]<BR>