[b-greek] RE: e-Greek & information discounts

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 21:32:16 EDT

on 4/11/02 5:06 PM, Paul O. Wendland wrote:

> But this age will produce few Hemingways . . .

Paul,

Funny you should mention him. While I was walking in the rain this afternoon
and watching the shipping traffic between here and Vashon Island, I was
thinking that Hemingway's policy of "eliminating everything that could be
taken for granted." E-text documents are now part of that "everything." They
are common property, anyone with the $$$ can have them.

All of this vast world of hypertext documents for biblical studies is a
wonderful means of expediting research. This has great intrinsic value for
people like translation consultants.

 But in the world of Biblical Studies and e-forums, from here on out it is
going to be much more difficult to say anything that will be of interest to
anyone, since the entire world of e-texts is part of what can now be "taken
for granted." It is part of the "assumed knowledge" of everyone working in
the field. It is only a mouse click away for anyone with the means to
purchase it.

What we thought was going to make life easy has really made life more
difficult. To say something significant now, you are going to need to do
some real work.

greetings,

Clay

--