[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lead contamination

>Does anyone know the following?
>
>1. does lead naturally occur in soil and at what levels?
>2. Can lead be removed by growing a cover crop and disposing of it
>rather than composting it?
>3. What methods can be used to remove lead from soils?
>4. What is considered a safe level of lead in the soil?
>5. I understand that tomatoes, eggpplant etc. are better to
>grow in lead contaminated soils than leafy greens because the leaves
>absorb ythe lead.  Is this correct?

Something you should research is the pH ofyour soil.  I understand that
lead will only become available to plants when the soil in more acidic.  I
am not sure whether this applies to leafy vegetables.  As far as removeing
the lead from the soil, a big problem.  You might be better off building
beds with a soil compost mixture.  Getting back to the availability of lead
to plants, a soil fertility text book would present the effect of pH on
lead availabilty.  Contact me if you are not able to locate it.
--
              Thomas Hansmeyer
              USDA-ARS