[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: INDICATOR PLANTS - REPLY - dirk.txt [1/1]

Dirk Lamprecht (dlamprec@stellbos.csir.co.za) wrote:
: In article <3eb7lv$abk@gina.zfn.uni-bremen.de>, schuring@alf.zfn.uni-bremen.de (Joachim Schuering) says:
: >
: >I am interested in the use of plants as indicators for for geological and
: I once heard that in Zambia there is a specific flower growing on copper rich soils.
: Have never seen one.

: We have a succulent in our garden which is supposed to extract heavy metals out of the soils. I still have to confirm it by doing

Here in Sweden there is a coppermine Viscaria (some 10 k's from Kiruna
ironmine). That was found with help of a small arctic(?) flower with the
latin name Viscaria something. I have a vauge memory that Greenland
Geological Survey (Vaster Farimaggade ??, Copenhagen, Denmark), were
using differents biological indicators, during a period in the mid-80:ies,
as well as some of the other nordic geo-surveys. Since I left geoscience
at that time, my recollection is a bit blurred concerning bio-prospecting.

But You'll should be able to find people within the nordic geo-surveys,
try postmaster@sgu.se to see if they can forward any inquiries. GGU is
to my knowledge not on the net, specially if they have moved up to Greenland
during the last 2 years.

Lars M