[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: INDICATOR PLANTS

In <3eb7lv$abk@gina.zfn.uni-bremen.de> schuring@alf.zfn.uni-bremen.de (Joachim Schuering) writes:

>I am interested in the use of plants as indicators for for geological and
>hydrological conditions. The mapping of plant communities may give clues
>to soil density, water and nutrient content etc.

Oldenburgia arbuscula, a small tree up to 4 or 5 metres in height is
endemic to the Eastern Cape province of South Africa and is always
associated with outcrops of Witteberg quartzite, following the strata
closely.

It is a member of the daisy family, and is commonly known as "rabbits
ears".  There is some demand for the woolly leaves amongst florists,
but unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of interesting stuff
associated with the quartzite.

Another indicator plant is the Hydrangea - plants grown in acid conditions
produce blue flowers,  while those growing in alkaline conditions
produce pink flowers.

--
  F.F. Jacot Guillarmod     PO  Box 94     \        |     ccfj@hippo.ru.ac.za
  Computing Services     Grahamstown 6140   \      /      Fax: +27 461 25049