[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

North Central Institute for Sustainable Systems

http://www.ag.iastate.edu/departments/agronomy/nciss/nciss1.html

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr. - Venaura Farm - Chapel Hill, NC, USA
mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu  http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden

North Central Institute
for
Sustainable Systems

WELCOME!

Welcome to the home page of NCISS, an initiative to provide practical experiential learning opportunities in sustainable agricultural systems.

Press on this picture to hear an audio welcome from the Institute director.
(400 Kb AU file)

Teaching Sustainability at a Distance

Summary of our first satellite uplink broadcast

What the institute is

Our purpose is to teach and increase knowledge about sustainable living. We will provide courses and a curriculum leading to a minor degree in Sustainable Agricultural Systems for students at any institution of higher learning in the North Central region, including Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Native American Land Grant schools. We will emphasize practical, experiential learning through internships, practica, workshops, and a combination of field- and classroom courses. Course work will be delivered on site or remotely, using the most appropriate modern delivery mechanisms (videoconferencing, satellite transmission or the Internet).

Our tentative curriculum

We are currently targeting initial course offerings for Summer 1996. Continue to check this site for our developing curriculum. To date, these are a sample of the courses we would like to offer.

About the faculty

See a list of current faculty of the Institute. This regional faculty includes farmers, members of the agribusiness community, agricultural lenders, other agricultural practitioners, and faculty members of the participating North Central Region Land Grant institutions.

Read our founding proposal

Read the text of a proposal funded by the USDA's Higher Education Challenge Grant Program to support the establishment of NCISS. Initial planning funds were provided by the Northwest Area Foundation, the W. K. Kellogg Foundation and the USDA's Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education program.

How to contact us.

You may contact us by electronic mail. You can contact the NCISS Director, the Academic Coordinator or the entire NCISS faculty. If you would like to contact an individual NCISS faculty member, please refer to our faculty list for the person's e-mail address. If you would like to tell us about your interests, or request further information, please fill out this form.

North Central Institute for Sustainable Systems