[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Soil and Health Library

http://www.soilandhealth.org/index.html

 Lawrence F. London, Jr. - Dragonfly Market Gardens
 mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu - mailto:llondon@bellsouth.net
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden
 http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden/permaculture.html
Title: Soil and Health Library

Soil And Health Library
Health begins in the soil; Healing begins with hygiene; Liberty begins with freedom.

    This is a free library. Here, you can read carefully-selected older books whose importance and contemporary relevance has not diminished. These books are out of print and can be very hard to find; many are old enough to be public domain.
    The Soil and Health Library has three closely linked areas of interest: alternative agriculture, holistic health, and freedom.
    1. Radical Agriculture's fundamental theme is a question: how to create physical health through nutrition? This library's interest is far wider than "Organic" gardening and farming. Many other health-determined approaches to food-raising are included. Go to the Agriculture Library

    2. The Restoration and Maintence of Health. Here, the focus is nutritional medicine, primarily on Natural Hygiene. There are selections concerning longevity and nutritional anthropology. Go to the Health Library

    3. Achieving Personal Sovereignty. Physical health endures only when supported by mental and spiritual health. The Sovereignty Library focuses on liberating achievements: homesteading, small-scale entrepreneuring, financial independence, frugality, and voluntary simplicity. Go to the Personal Sovereignty Library

    The Purpose Of The Soil And Health Organization

        I prefer to learn by going back to the originators of knowledge, to study the underlying documents, the original theses, because those who follow in the footsteps of the founders of knowledge are rarely trailblazers of equivalent depth. Even when the earliest works in a field contain errors because their authors lacked some bit of data or had a fact wrong, their books contain enormous wisdom. If nothing else, study of older books lets us discover that the conditions that prevail today aren't the way things always were--while on some levels, nothing ever changes at all.
        However, there are powerful tendencies on Earth causing the foundations of knowledge to be lost in obscurity. That would be okay if there were better knowldege and wiser wisdoms coming on line to replace them. But usually the opposite is the case. I have observed this tendency in every area of study I've taken up seriously: history, agriculture, natural medicine, even investing. As the sort of person Sir Albert Howard called "the laboratory hermit" increasingly dominates ever-wider areas of scholarship, the focus of scholarship gets ever narrower. Often, the results of modern scholarship are more and more foolish, with highly destructive social consequences.
        Despite all the so-called advances of "scientific" agriculture, the nutritional content of our basic foodstuffs is actually declining. There's a little-appreciated "law" about this: nutritional value drops in direct relationship to the increase in bulk production. Or, in agriculture at any rate, "quality" is the opposite of "quantity."
        Industrial agriculture has also devastated the self-sufficient, independent lifestyles enjoyed by so many Americans merely one century ago. In 1870, 90 percent of all Americans lived on farms or in villages. And in consequence, enjoyed enormously greater personal liberty than we do today. The current decline in personal rights is NOT the result of there being more people in America dividing up a fixed and limited amount of total possible liberty into smaller and smaller slices.
        I think what happened was that as the industrial food system became ever more "efficient" it made the price of basic agricultural commodities lower and lower. Consequently most Americans sold their self-sufficient birthright for a paying job, moved to town and soon became wage slaves. Only free persons can forthrightly demand their liberties. Wage slaves, like any other kind of slave, feel insecure and think that they have to shuck and jive.
        The industrial system's focus is on efficiency, but the apparent cheapness of modern agricultural production does not reflect a true accounting of costs. Despite the statistical increase in average lifespan, our average health and feelings of wellness have been declining. Look around you at your fat neighbors whose mental awareness also seems wrapped in fat. Americans are disdained world wide for being hugely obese. We spend ever-larger portions of our productivity on the treatment and cure of disease. This constitutes enormous pain and suffering whose source is almost entirely unappreciated.
        It is impossible to prove this last contention to an "open-minded" person. However, Dr. Isabelle Moser, who spent 25 years conducting a clinical practice using holistic approaches, noted that what she termed the "constitution" of her older patients was typically much stronger than the constitution of her younger ones. Each generation got a poorer start than the one before it as each generation got their "start" from foods produced on ever-more degraded soils grown ever-more "scientifically,." and more and more consisting of processed, denatured fodder. (The full text of Dr. Moser's book is in the Health Library.) (For a good discussion of the concept of "start," read Wrench's Wheel of Health in the Longevity Library.)
        Maybe someone will write in and tell me who it was that so wisely quipped, "if they can stop you from asking the right questions, you'll never come up with the right answers." This sage was probably a rock and roll poet. In this library you will encounter individuals who DID ask the right questions and even came up with some of the answers.
        I've observed that modern higher education points people's attention away from the Truth and toward an ever-increasing confusion created by too much data. So I am making it my personal work to restore the availability of key books written by amazing individuals, books that offer major illumination to those who can already see, can still speak the truth to those who can already hear.

    How You Can Help

        If you admire what is being done here and wish to assist this effort, there are several things I can envision you doing.

    Who Is Creating This Site?

        My name is Steve Solomon. Click here, go to my home page and find out about me.

        Click here to communicate via email at ssolomon@yelmtel.com

        Write via ordinary mail to:

        Soil and Health Organization
        P.O. Box 7530, Suite 1
        Yelm, WA 98597

        The materials on this site are NOT copyright by Soil and Health Organization. If anything available here is copyrighted by another that fact will be plainly made known at the opening of the work, just as in any other book printed on paper. Reproduction and dissemination of uncopyrighted materials on this site is encouraged, so long as no alterations are made in the material and the documents herein are maintained complete and entire. Under the rules regarding "Fair Use (as interpreted by this Library)," a library, including this electronic one, can make a copy of any book it cannot purchase on the retail market. However, further reproduction and dissemination of copyrighted materials by the patrons of this library is prohibited by U.S. Copyright Law. Saving downloaded copyrighted material on your own hard disk constitutes copying. So if you wish to remain within the law (as we interpret it) read copyrighted books while online. Enjoy!