[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: News Advisory: Still Crazy After Oil These Years!

Scott Nudds wrote:
: >On a more scientific scale,
: >any increase that is sufficient to measurably alter the climate or
: >biosphere.

(snark@swcp.com) wrote:
: Hmmm...measurable in what sense?  In the IPCC sense of "we're fairly
: sure that anthropogenic global warming has occurred," or in the IPCC
: sense of "but we can't quantify it at all."  [paraphrased]

  I don't recognize the quote "but we can't quantify it at all." in the
IPCC reports I have read.

  Ahh, I see, you did not quote the report, you claim to have
"paraphrased", thereby allowing you to use whatever wording you liked.

  Lets see what the IPCC really says....

IPCC SECOND ASSESSMENT SYNTHESIS OF SCIENTIFIC-TECHNICAL INFORMATION
RELEVANT TO INTERPRETING ARTICLE 2 OF THE UN FRAMEWORK CONVENTION ON
CLIMATE CHANGE 1995

Our ability to quantify the human influence on global climate is
currently limited because the expected signal is still emerging from
the noise of natural variability, and because there are uncertainties
in key factors. These include the magnitude and patterns of long term
natural variability and the time-evolving pattern of forcing by, and
response to, changes in concentrations of greenhouse gases and
aerosols, and land surface changes. Nevertheless, the balance of
evidence suggests that there is a discernible human influence on
global climate.

  Strange, this doesn't sound like your paraphrase ...
"but we can't quantify it at all."

  Now, what would have motivated you to distort the IPCC report Snark?

--
<---->