[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PANUPS: Methyl Bromide Update

> *A recent report indicates that ultraviolet (UV) radiation
> has increased over large regions of the Earth in the past 15
> years, according to new research published in Geophysical
> Research Letters. The report is based on data from a NASA
> satellite that monitors world ozone levels.

I have seen, somewhere, a report that questions the validity of this report, called it a
funding ploy.  Can you provide validation from uninterested parties?

> Stratospheric
> ozone protects the surface of the Earth from UV radiation,
> which causes skin cancer and cataracts in humans.

You neglected to mention that UV seems to decrease colon cancer due to some unknown
mechanism and helps children build stronger bones during growth.

> United Nations scientists estimate that
> methyl bromide is responsible for approximately 5 to 10% of
> worldwide ozone depletion. In early 1995, 295 atmospheric
> scientists concluded that eliminating methyl bromide is the
> most significant remaining action governments can take to
> prevent future ozone loss.

Do you have the references for this?

> In addition, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
> reported record low ozone layer levels due to continued ozone
> depletion. In March, the WMO recorded 20 to 30% ozone loss
> over certain areas of the northern hemisphere, including
> parts of Scandinavia, Great Britain and Siberia. WMO
> scientists reported that the Antarctic ozone hole exceeded 20
> million square kilometers for over 40 days from August to
> December 1995 -- the longest lasting ozone hole ever
> recorded.

Considering that ozone is naturally depeleted during the Winter, due to less sunshine,
this is throughly logical.  What is the current "normal" ozone depletion during Winter?
Also, what is the trend is "ozone holes" dating since they started being measured?