[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non-Chemical Lantana Eradication

Helen+Paul <nahrunh@citec.qld.gov.au> wrote in article
<50o82b$g9i@citecuf.citec.qld.gov.au>...
> Amba <leesky@nectar.com.au> wrote:
> >Hello All,
> >
> >My husband and I have just bought 7 acres of land down on the south
> >coast of NSW (Australia) which has about an acre of Lantana on it. As
> >this is a pest plant in NSW, the Rural Land Protection Board has placed
> >an order for it's removal.
snip

Paul Kristiansen replied

> I work for the Qld. Dept.of Natural Resources on the biological control
> of weeds.
snip
> My approach might be:
> * Dig, pull, cut, hack, butcher.
> * Burn.
> * Dig, pull, cut, hack, butcher.
> * Burn.
> * Dig, pull, cut, hack, butcher.
> * Plant fast-growing ground cover, shrubs and trees (preferably local
> native species).
> * Mulch as much as possible.
> * Dig, pull, cut, hack, butcher.
> * Plant fast growing ground cover, shrubs and trees (preferably local
> native species).
> * Mulch as much as possible.
> * Dig, pull, cut, hack, butcher.
> * Plant fast growing ground cover, shrubs and trees (preferably local
> native species).
> * Mulch as much as possible.
>
> There is no easy way, unfortunately.  A common 'regen' principle is to
> work from the least infested to the most infested over time. Gradually
> chew away to its heart.  Also, the Lantana is there because other plants
> were removed too much or from poor farm management, so removing lots of
> Lantana might only provide a niche for a different weed, or open up for
> the Lantana to zoom back harder.
>
> The very best of luck to you.
>
> Paul Kristiansen
> Brisbane, Qld.

I recall from many years ago some friends on the North coast of New South
had reasonable success pulling lantana out with a rope (or chain) which
they wound several times around the individual clumps before pulling with a
tractor. A long rope enabled them to walk around the clumps and put a noose
around each patch in turn.  The rope reduced the need to crawl into the
crowns.  Someone held the end of the rope firm and the noose tightened
around the crown as the tractor took up the slack.  They were very pleased
with the results.  By not having any knots in the rope it comes away fairly
easily after the lantana is pulled. If you don't have a tractor then some
sort of winch, hand or vehicle, may give you the power you will need to
dislodge the lantana.

If this works okay then you have some options like recycling the plant
material through a power mulcher, stack it in heaps to let it dry prior to
burning or whatever you like.

It would be better to pull when the ground is somewhat softened by rain
which may be now.  That is if you got enough rain from that last frontal
system that came through.  We only got 50 mm here on the Gold Coast of
Queensland but that was nice.

Kind regards,

Ken Yeomans
Keyline Designs PO Box 3289 Southport, Qld 4215 AUSTRALIA
ISD: 61 7 Tel: (07) 5591 6281  Fax: (07) 5527 0847 (GMT + 10 hours!)
Email:  yeomans@keyline.com.au   URL:  http://www.keyline.com.au
Agricultural consulting, book distributor: Property planning for
sustainable agriculture, bio-organic soil regeneration and Landcare.
Contoured farm photomaps for remote planning, water conservation, hillside
flood irrigation.