[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MAJOR PRIVACY ALERT!

In article <gmcgath-1609960721220001@condes.mv.com>, gmcgath@mv.mv.com
(Gary McGath) wrote:

 - In article <323C43A7.730F@valley.net>, "Susan_W._Almy"
 - <Susan_Almy@valley.net> wrote:
 -
 - >I am extremely sorry to report that I called up to try whether this was
 - >really true, and it does seem to be so.

If so, that seems to be news to LEXIS. Note the highlited (-->) areas below.

SOURCE:<http://www.lexis-nexis.com/lncc/about/ptrak.html>

 - Statement on the P-TRAK file from LEXIS-NEXIS
 -
 -
 - LEXIS-NEXIS markets the P-TRAK file to the legal community for use by
 - general legal practitioners, litigators and public attorneys, as well as
 - law enforcement agencies and police departments. These professionals use
 - the P-TRAK file to assist in locating litigants, witnesses,
 - shareholders, debtors, heirs and beneficiaries.
 - It's important to note that LEXISÆ-NEXISÆ is a business-to-business
 - service and is not a consumer online service. The LEXIS-NEXIS service is
 - targeted to and used by attorneys, businesses and government agencies.
 -
 - LEXIS-NEXIS is aware of the sensitivities regarding the potential misuse
 - of information. While business competitors of LEXIS-NEXIS have for some
 - time made Social Security numbers available to users of their services,
--> - and continue to do so, LEXIS-NEXIS discontinued the display of Social
--> Security numbers in the P-TRAK file as of June 11, 1996, eleven days
--> after the product was introduced.
 -
 - There has been much erroneous information distributed on the Internet
--> regarding the data displayed in the P-TRAK file. The displayed record
--> may, but not always, include the name of the individual, the
--> individual's maiden and assumed names, current as well as up to two
--> previous addresses, month and year of birth and telephone number. That
 - is the only information displayed in the P-TRAK file.
 -
 - Contrary to some messages that have been posted to some Internet
 - discussion and news groups, the P-TRAK file does not contain any credit
 - histories, bank account information or other personal financial data, or
 - medical histories.
 -
 - The information displayed in the P-TRAK file is an aggregation readily
 - available from public information sources such as telephone directories
 - (in print and CD-ROM format) and public records maintained by government
 - agencies.
 -
 - Through its actions, LEXIS-NEXIS is balancing the privacy concerns of
 - the public with the legitimate needs of legal, business and government
 - professionals for access to accurate sources of publicly available
 - information. By discontinuing the display of Social Security numbers in
 - P-TRAK and only providing information that is already available to the
 - public from other sources, LEXIS-NEXIS believes it has responsibly met
 - the expressed concerns of the public.
 -
 - Please direct any comments to pr@prod.lexis-nexis.com. .
From <http://www.lexis-nexis.com/government/profile.html>

 - The LEXISÆ-NEXISÆ services offer references to millions of people from
 - sources such as property records, phone directories, deed records,
 - census bureau data, news stories, etc.
 - Find current and historical data:
 - … complete names
 - … dates of birth
 - … addresses of homes and businesses
 - … home and business phone numbers
 - … addresses and phone numbers of residences or businesses on the same
 - street.
 - … value of real property owned and/or deed transfers
 - … watercraft or aircraft ownership
 - … Texas motor vehicle registrations
 - … tax liens and judgments
 - … registered DBA names from selected counties in 47 states and D.C.
 - … licensing records from 38 California, 25 New Jersey and 28
 - Pennsylvania licensing boards.
--> … Social Security numbers and names for which the Social Security
--> Administration has paid death benefits since 1962 -- an easy way to
--> determine if a SSN is being used fraudulently.

--
Kirk Kerekes