[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Limits To Growth

In article <56d2l3$k1q@agate.berkeley.edu>,
   atanu@are.Berkeley.EDU (Atanu Dey) wrote:
>Bruce Scott TOK (bds@ipp-garching.mpg.de) wrote:
>: Mike Asher (masher@tusc.net) wrote:
>
>: [argument with set of figures leaving out 1995 omitted]
>
>: : As an aside, I will note that the majority of agricultural land in the
>: : world is farmed with low-tech inefficient methods.  Expantion of the use
of
>: : modern agriculture, new species, and good infrastructure, can more than
>: : double world food production.  All without an additional acre being
farmed,
>: : though, in the US at least, agricultural land usage has been on the
decline
>: : for many years.   Perhaps you have some statistics here?
>
>: You are welcome to calculate the increase of the crude oil drawdown rate
>: if the rest of the world farms the way the US does.

	Define "efficiency" please?  Is using heavily subsidized oil and
water to increase yields "efficient?"  As Arnold Pacey points out in _The
Culture of Technology_, from the yield/hectare standpoint capital-intensive
farming is more "efficient," but from the energy input/yield standpoint,
low-tech, labor intensive farming is more efficient, many times more, in fact.
There are no grounds for choosing either as a measure of efficiency,
efficiency is a social or ideological value, not a scientific one.
(Of course, the above does not take into account the massive subsidies the oil
industry gets. If you look in _Federal Energy Subsidies: 1992_, put out by the
EIA of the US Energy Dept., you'll find that the oil indusrty as a whole has
paid no net taxes every year since WWI, when the drilling credits were
passed, according to a CBO study cited in the aforementioned tome.)

Mike

Follow-Ups: References: