[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ecological Economics and Entropy

sync@inforamp.net (J McGinnis) wrote for all to see:

>On 20 Nov 1996 13:56:44 GMT, jmc@Steam.stanford.edu (John McCarthy)
>wrote:
>
>>I'm doubtful about James McGinnis's statement that the number of
>>people facing starvation has doubled since 1989.  Which people are
>>being discussed.
>
>>At the other end of the scale,
>
>I assume that's the poor : rich scale?
>
>>the number with the opportunity to buy
>>Big Macs has probably doubled since 1989, since McDonalds is now in
>>100 countries.
>
>I'll say it again. If all the world produced and consumed food as
>North Americans do, we could only provide enough food for 2.5 Billion
>people. The world population is expected to pass 8 Billion within 30
>years.

>In other words, the number of people eating Big Macs is a cause of the
>problem, not a sign of improvement.

I will respond, just once here, to point out that you have a hidden
assumption that ruins your argument, at least for me.  I do not expect
you to see it.

You make the assumption that the world could not readily increase in
production of food.  This is not the case.  I think that, given even
rudimentary economic freedom and property rights, the world could
readily produce sufficient food to feed itself on the level of the
western democracies.

Africa may have the greatest unrealized potential for food anywhere in
the world.  If they ever manage to attain political stability, some
economic freedom and western property rights, they will have no
problem feeding not only themselves, but a lot of the rest of the
world.

[deleted]

Regards, Harold
----
"The present contains nothing more than the past, and what is found in
the effect was already in the cause."
	---Henri Bergson, Philosopher (1859 - 1941)

Follow-Ups: References: