[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gardening Book For New England Area?

In article <3aookb$3et@coyote.rain.org>, jennings@rain.org writes:
> I'm located in SoCalif.  A friend -- also located here -- is looking for
> a Xmas gift for her children, who are JUST BEGINNING to garden.  THEY are
> located outside of Boston, so gardening books for our SoCalif. climate
> wouldn't work for them!
> Any recommendations would be appreciated.  NEEDED:  A good, all-round,
> basic gardening book for the Massachusetts/New England area!  Please post
> here, OR e-mail to:	jennings@rain.org
> Jeri Collari

I highly recommend: The Harrowsmith Northern Gardener, by Jennifer Bennett
(Camden House, 1982, ISBN 0-920656-22-6).  This book went out of print and
was reprinted a few years ago.  It has everything a beginning vegetable
gardener needs to know.  Good for all cold-weather regions up into Canada.
Includes instructions for each type of vegetable, commonly-found insects
(good and bad), diseases...

A great companion book is The Healthy Garden Handbook: An Illustrated
Guide to Combating Insects, Garden Pests, and Plant Diseases. By the
Editors of Mother Earth News. (Simon & Schuster/Fireside. 1989. ISBN
0-671-65788-7).  This book is terrific for all regions -- photos and
detailed descriptions of pests, helpful insects, and diseases, with
biological (i.e., non-toxic) solutions to the problem.

Hope this helps!

Laura Reiner from the cyberdesk of Guy Washburn