[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Indigenous plants

In article <1994Dec27.234902.1@wkuvx2.wku.edu>,
 <sweetll@wkuvx1.wku.edu> wrote:
>I am interested in starting a garden on a plot of land less than a
>half acre in size in rural Kentucky.  I want to be environmentally
>responsible, and I would like to plant things that will attract birds,
>butterflies and other small wildlife.  Is planting indigenous plants
>and wildflowers a good way to go about this?  I have been to a couple
>of bookstores, but I haven't seen any books on the subject (if it
>exists).  Can anyone recommend some books?  Also, are there agencies
>or other resources I can use to find out what plants are native to my
>region?
>Thanks for the help!

Yes, wildflowers and indigenous plants are a great way to attract
wildlife. I butterfly garden in Southern California and use natives
and have had much success. Two very good books on the subject are:

Butterfly Gardening - Creating Summer Magic in Your Garden
by Xerces Society and Smithsonian Institution
ISBN 0-87156-615-X

Butterflies - How to Identify and Attract Them to Your Garden
by Marcus Schneck
ISBN 0-87857-917-6

Good luck!

Brian Korbelik