[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: QUESTION: Need information on growi

Re: growing cotton organically, the first issue of Farmer to Farmer was
about this very topic. It is out of print, but can be found on the World
wide WEb (I'm sorry I don't have the address on me; we'll post it soon.
In the meantime e-mail Thomas Nelson at CAFF: caff@igc.apc.org). I could
send you a hard copy if you prefer. . . give me a mailing address. Since
we are a small nonprofit, I can't send lots of copies to lots of people,
though. Thanks!
Lori Pottinger, assoc. ed.
f2f@igc.apc.org
(1641)  Tue 15 Dec 92  9:50
By: Bob Batson
Re: FREE BOOK

  The USDA has recently published _Fire Blight---Its Nature, Prevention,
and Control; A Practical Guide to Integrated Disease Management_. This
Agricultural Information Bulletin (AIB 631) was written by T. van der Zwet
of the ARS Appalachian Fruit Research Station and S.V. Beer of the
Department of Plant Pathology at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.
  While supplies last, copies may be obatained, AT NO COST, from the
following: USDA-ARS-NAA, Appalachian Fruit Research Station, 45 Wiltshire
Road, Kearneysville, WV 25430; and Department of Plant Pathology, Cornell
University, Ithaca, NY 14853.

(552)   Thu 10 Mar 94 12:43
By: John Mudge
Re: Fish farming

 CW> Does anyone in this echo have experience with raising fish in tanks (not
 CW> aquariums)?  I am thinking about raising catfish and would appreciate any
 CW> ideas/hints/etc. you have.

Since I have no idea what (if any) experience you have in raising catfish, it
would not hurt to briefly remind you that the big problem in raising fish in
small containers is keeping adequate oxygen in the water.  Small air pumps
designed for this purpose are available through marine supply stores.  They are
used in live-bait tanks in sport-fishing boats.  Shade is also necessary in
most parts of the country.

Tanks must be made of food-grade material and provide a method for removing
excess food.  If you are referring to large tanks, considerable research has
been done.  Here is a literature survey:

United States Department of Agriculture
National Agricultural Library
10301 Baltimore Blvd.
Beltsville, Maryland  20705-2351

Feeds and Feeding for Catfish
Aqua-Topics Series
August 1992

Eileen M. McVey
National Agricultural Library
Aquaculture Information Center

(Citations were selected for 1991-1992)

Anderson, M.J. and A.W. Fast.  Temperature and feed rate
effects on Chinese catfish Clarias-fuscus Lacepede growth.
Aquaculture and Fisheries Management, v. 22 (4), 1991, pp.
435-442.

Bahnassey, Y.A., W.M. Breene, and M. Kazemzadeh.  Hard red
spring wheat flours and vital gluten as binders in extruded
aquaculture rations.  Cereal Foods World, v. 36(8), 1991, p.
712.
NAL Call No.:  59.8 C333

Burtle, G.J. and G.L. Newton.  Ammonia tolerance is enhanced
by feeding L-carnitine to channel catfish.  Journal of Animal
Science, v. 69(suppl. 1), 1991, p. 184.
NAL Call No.: 49 J82

Degani, G. and A. Revach.  Digestive capabilities of three
commensal fish species: carp, Cyprinus carpio L., tilapia,
Oreochromis aureus x O. niloticus, and African catfish,
Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822).  Aquaculture and Fisheries
Management, v. 22(4), 1991, pp. 397-403.

Fagbenro, O.A. and I.A. Arowosoge.  Growth response and
nutrient digestibility by Clarias-isheriensis Sydenham 1980
fed varying levels of dietary coffee pulp as replacement for
maize in low-cost diets.  Bioresource Technology, v. 37(3),
1991, pp. 253-258.
NAL Call No.:  TD930 A32

Fagbenro, O.A. and I.A. Arowosoge.  Replacement value of some
household wastes as energy substitutes in low-cost diets for
rearing catfish in South-Western Nigeria.  Bioresource
Technology, v. 37(3), 1991, pp. 197-204.
NAL Call No.:  TD930 A32

Fermin, A.C. and M.E.C. Bolivar.  Larval rearing of the
Philippine freshwater catfish Clarias-macrocephalus Unther fed
live zooplankton and artificial diet:  A preliminary study.
Israeli Journal of Aquaculture Bamidgeh, v. 43(3), 1991, pp.
87-94.
NAL Call No.:  SH1.A6

Gannam, A.L. and R.T. Lovell.  Effects of feeding 17-alpha
methyltestosterone, 11 ketotestosterone, 17-beta estradiol and
3 5 3' triiodothyronine to channel catfish Ictalurus-
punctatus.  Aquaculture, v. 92(4), 1991, pp. 377-388.
NAL Call No.:  SH1.A6

This AQUA-TOPIC lists selected aquaculture publications and
does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Department of
Agriculture.

Gannam, A.L. and R.T. Lovell.  Growth and bone development in
channel catfish fed 17-alpha methyltestosterone in production
ponds.  Journal of The World Aquaculture Society, v. 22(2),
1991, pp. 95-100.
NAL Call No.:  SH138.W62

Johnsen, P.B. and H.K. Dupree.  Influence of feed ingredients
on the flavor quality of farm-raised catfish.  Aquaculture, v.
96(2). 1991. pp. 139-150.
NAL Call No.:  SH1.A6

Killian, S.  Winter feeding adds to catfish profits.
Feedstuffs, v. 63(31), July 1991, p. 10.
NAL Call No.:  286.81 F322

Lovell, R.T.  Nutrition of aquaculture species.  Journal of
Animal Science, v. 69(10), 1991, pp. 4193-4200.
NAL Call No.:  49 J82

Lovell, R.T. and M. Li.  Are fish farmers feeding too much
protein to catfish?  Highlights of Agricultural Research, v.
38(4), Winter 1991, p. 6.
NAL Call No.:  100 Al1h

Masser, M.P. [et al].  A simulation model representing effects
on dietary energy-protein ratio and water temperature on
growth of channel catfish Ictalurus-punctatus fisheries and
allied aquacultures.  Ecological Modelling, v. 54(1-2), 1991,
pp. 17-36.
NAL Call No.:  QH541.15 M3E25

Meyer, F.P.  Aquaculture disease and health management.
Journal of Animal Science, v. 69(10), 1991, pp. 4201-4208.
NAL Call No.:  49 J82

Newton, G.L. and G.J. Burtle.  Gastric pH of channel catfish
effect of feeding rate and water temperature.  Journal of
Animal Science, v. 69(suppl. 1), 1991, pp. 184-185.
NAL Call No.:  49 J82

Robinson, E.H.  A practical guide to nutrition, feeds, and
feeding of catfish.  Bulletin (Mississippi Agriculture and
Forestry Experiment Station), No. 979, Oct 1991, p. 18.
NAL Call No.:  S79.e3

Santha, C.R. and D.M. Gatlin.  Growth response and fatty acid
composition of channel catfish fry fed practical diets
supplemented with menhaden fish oil.  The Progressive Fish-
Culturist, v. 53(3), 1991, pp. 135-140.
NAL Call No.:  157.5 P94

Silva, J.L.(Ed.).  Proceedings Nineteenth Annual Catfish
Processors' Workshop.  Information Bulletin (Mississippi
Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station), No. 209,
January 9, 1991. 33 pp.
NAL Call No.:  S79.e34 No.209

Sugita, H., C. Miyajima and Y. Deguchi.  The vitamin B-12-
producing ability of the intestinal microflora of freshwater
fish.  Aquaculture, v. 92(2-3), 1991, pp. 267-276.
NAL Call No.:  SH1 A6

Webster, Carl D. et al.  "Effects of Feeding Diets Containing
34 or 38% Protein at Two Feeding Frequencies on Growth and
Body Composition of Channel Catfish."  Journal of Applied
Aquaculture, v. 1(3), 1992, pp. 67-80.
NAL Call No.:  SH135 J69

Webster, C.D., J.H. Tidwell and D.H. Yancey.  "Effect of
Protein Level and Feeding Frequency on Growth and Body
Composition of Cage-reared Channel Catfish."  The Progressive
Fish-Culturist, v. 54(2), April 1992, pp. 92-96.
NAL Call No.:  157.5 P94

Webster, C.D., J.H. Tidwell and D.H. Yancey.  Evaluation of
distiller's grains with solubles as a protein source in diets
for channel catfish.  Aquaculture, v. 96(2), 1991, pp.
179-190.
NAL Call No.:  SH1 A6

Wilson, Robert.  "Channel Catfish." In:  Handbook of Nutrient
Requirements of Finfish.  Boca Raton, FL:  CRC Press.  1991.
pp. 35-54.
NAL Call No.:  SH156.H355 1991

DOCUMENT DELIVERY:  Requests should be made through local
public, academic, or special libraries.  For information on
NAL services, contact Lending Branch, USDA, National
Agricultural Library, 10301 Baltimore Blvd., Beltsville, MD
20705-2351; Phone:  (301) 504-5755

John Mudge

 * Origin:  -->point MUDGE bbs * V.32b * Shelton, WA  USA<--  (1:352/111)