[Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Til late in the midnite hours I buried myself in the old pages of this book.
It's the recollections of a transplanted Californian woman who finds herself
in New England territory back in the 30's.  She remarks in vivid detail on the
all the things that left indelible marks upon her as she attempted to garden
in a place where the population considered her attempts to build humus for her
garden as almost an affront to the natural way of things.  Along the way her
lively and sometimes lurid descriptions carried me away until I was no longer
curled up in bed, but touching the knots of old pine floors, and savoring the
smell of sweet corn-cob smoked ham.  The feeling and passion of being in such
a pleasureable "elsewhere" was not one I could easily put away.  The room in
the attic (saved for those family members that didn't rate the spare room)
where the chimney kept the place toasty in winter and the first sound to greet
you in the morning was the singing of birds, the dark cool root celler where
was stored the toil of the summer in preserves - smoked meats - vegetables -
and buttery things, and the kitchen that was yearly whitewashed and lovingly
papered over wooden slats.  She gives the heart of the book in a page that is
at once terribly funny and thought provoking.  Perhaps there is wisdom in her
laughter.

A Sense of Humus
Bertha Damon
Simon and Schuster
1943
"One who has used humus in horticulture falls into the way of thinking about
other kinds of culture in terms of humus.  Such education as he himself has --
what is it but a compost of all the things he once learned and has in a way
forgotten -- a humus in which the original elements have lost their identity?
Have not those green scraps of knowledge, mixed with tough experiences and
ripened by time, turned into a kind of wisdom?  He understands how it is that
a word is said to have roots, and how its present meanings have grown up out
of layers of old meanings.  He sees a book as a small deposit of humus made
from the writer's experiences and reflections, and a library as a great rich
compost heap which has accumulated and preserved stored energy for future
growth.  Decayed liturature, as Thoreau observed, makes the richest of all
soils.  He sees that certain period of human history, such as the Periclean,
the Renaissance, and the Elizabethan, are like certian geologic periods; they
made better growth than others and laid down deeper layers.
  A humusist comes to think the answer to many problems would seem to be more
humus -- more of that which was once vital itself and now has power to give
vitality.  For a soil, this might be a leaf mold or a green crop turned under;
for a mind, it might be a page of history or an example left by a hero.  To
have a sense of humus is to have an appreciation of the past, to realize that
to discard the achievements and virtues slowly built up through long periods
of human society and to attempt to live solely in this present is like
throwing away humus and trying to exist in more or less inorganic hardpan.  A
young human plant needs mellowed soil deep enough to encourage his roots to go
down and rich enough in stored energy to give vigor.
  One who works much with humus sees it to be a symbol of democracy, in which
many work for the good of one, and one works for the good of many.  He comes
in time to honor the ideal of service for itself and not for individual
recognition, of service great and unending in which small and brief services
have been blended.  He comes to hold the modest hope that his immortality may
be in a diffused influence for good, the hope that among "those immortal dead
who live again in minds made better by their presence" he may take his
honorable but undistinguished part."

Take just a moment to clear the grand and noble laughter from the brain and
think....

What makes a gardener garden?  For me it comes in the indescribable joy of my
hands in good soil, in the lingering sweetness of fresh corn upon the tounge,
in the bundles of dried herbs the hang in the kitchen.  Perhaps Damon gives
breath to a wider feeling that leaves my own faculty wordless. Perhaps it's a
secret fear of being made to feel foolish by such grand thoughts.

It's not the money savings, though thats certainly something I'd love to
pretend.  As my husband casually remarked the other evening whilst chewing
upon fresh garden lettuce, "Why, dear, I believe this is the most expensive
lettuce I've ever eaten."

It's not some sort of personal fastidiousness about clean food.  After carting
about loads of odoriferous manures, making war on bugs making whoopee, and
rescuing Lady bugs from my disposal, I've come to the clear conclusion that
food is much tidier from the store.

So what is it?  The hail beats my babies to a pulp, and the frost pulps my
pumpkin and yet I persist.  Maybe Bertha Damon has something and there is
truly a grand and larger scheme in all of our struggles.  It's certainly
better than believeing that I'm one card short of a full deck.

Song Bird
>>> Continued to next message
--- GEcho 1.00/beta
 * Origin: The Helix/Intentional Future/HST-DS/(206)783-6368 (1:343/70)

@PATH: 343/70 300 209/209 13/13 151/1003 3641/1

(3906)  Wed 19 Aug 92 11:01
By: Scott Parks