[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gardening book for colder climates

In article <pQ16IGl.csalmanson@delphi.com> ettings <csalmanson@delphi.com> writes:
>From: ettings <csalmanson@delphi.com>
>Subject: Re: Gardening book for colder climates
>Date: Sat, 31 DEC 94 12:09:49 -0500

>Taylor's book on perennials (widely available) has a wonderful chart in
>it, so that you can look up plants by zone, light, color, height, etc.
>You might find it helpful as a quick way to filter out the tropical stuff.
>Hope this was of help, and Happy New Year.
>
>Carol

I'd like to recommend my favorite reference:

           "Ornamental SHRUBS for Canada" by Lawrence C.Sherk and Arthur R.
Buckley   of the Ornamental Plant Section , Plant Research Institute, Research
Branch, Canada Department of Agriculture , Ottawa, Ontario,1968.
            I have two copies garnered, from used bkstrs(One from
Bellingham,Wa.) as a defense against over reaching garden enthusiasts who
have failed to return earlier copies to my shelves!
           Another useful title might be 'The Annotated Checklist of Woody
Plants of California, Oregon, and Washington, authored by Dr.E.Mc Clintlock
and Prof.A.T.Leiser and published by the University of California.,1979.

            BTW, UCDavis has an excellent agricultural page available on the
Web.
            Good Luck and Happy New Year to all.

      Dennis

THE AVANT GARDENER (monthly)
Horticultural Data Processors
P.O. Box 489
New York NY 10028
Subscription: $18/year; $20 foreign
(Summarizes new garden info, lists sources, etc.)

CANADIAN GARDENING (6 times/year)
Camar Publications Ltd
130 Spy Court
Markham, Ontario
L3R 5H6 Canada
$19.95 in Canada; outside Canada add $5/year

FINE GARDENING (bi-monthly)
The Taunton Press, Inc.
63 S. Main St, PO Box 5506
Newtown CT 06470-5506
Phone: 203-426-8171
$26 1 year in US; $32 1 year Canada and other countries
Single copy $4.95 in US; outside US and possessions $5.95

FLOWER & GARDEN (bi-monthly)
Flower & Garden Magazine
P.O. Box 7507
Red Oak IA 51591-0507
Subscription (6 issues): $12.95 US; $20.28 Canada; $18.95 foreign countries

GARDEN DESIGN (bi-monthly)
Subscriptions
P.O. Box 55458
Boulder CO 20008-2302

GREENPRINTS (quarterly)
Pat and Becky Stone
PO Box 1355
Fairview NC 28730
One year $14
(Garden essays, humorous and inspirational)

THE GROWINGEDGE (quarterly)
New Moon Publishing
PO Box 1027
Corvallis OR 97333
'Indoor and outdoor gardening for today's grower'

HARDY ENOUGH (bi-monthly)
Joe Hebert, Publisher
351 Pleasant St, Suite 259
Northampton MA 01060
$27 for one year
$4 sample copy
'The journal of experimental gardening'
  (cold-tolerant varieties of exotic plants)

THE HERB COMPANION (bi-monthly)
Interweave Press
201 East Fourth St
Loveland CO 80538
'In celebration of the useful plants'

THE HERB QUARTERLY (quarterly)
Long Mountain Press
Subscriptions
PO Box 548
Boiling Springs PA 17007-0548

HORTICULTURE (10 issues/year)
Subscriptions
PO Box 53879
Boulder CO 80321
1 year $24 in US; add $6/year outside US
'The magazine of American Gardening'

HORTIDEAS (monthly)
Gregory and Patricia Y. Williams
460 Black Lick Rd
Gravel Switch KY 40328
Annual subscription rates: US $15 second class, $17.50 first class
  Canada and Mexico: $17 first class; Overseas: $20 surface, $30 airmail
(Latest horticultural research, book reviews, new sources, etc.)

HOUSEPLANT MAGAZINE (quarterly)
Rt 1, Box 271-2
Elkins WV 26241-3809
$19.95 a year

NATIONAL GARDENING (bi-monthly)
P.O. Box 52874
Boulder CO 80322-2874
Phone: 800-727-9097
Rates: US $18/year; foreign $24
NOTE:  See file SBSCRB.TXT in Lib 1 of Gardening Forum for
  information on special rate for forum members

ORGANIC GARDENING (9 issues/year)
Rodale Press
33 E. Minor St.
Emmaus PA 18098
Phone: 215-967-5171
Subscriptions rates: $25/year US; $32.10 Canada; $37 other foreign

PACIFIC HORTICULTURE (quarterly)
Circulation Office
Pacific Horticulture
PO Box 485
Berkeley CA 94701

TEXAS GARDENER (bi-monthly)
PO Box 9005
Waco TX 76714
'The magazine for Texas gardeners, by Texas gardeners'

-

AMERICAN HORTICULTURIST
(6 times a year as magazine, 6 times as News Edition)
American Horticultural Society
7931 East Boulevard Dr.
Alexandria VA 22308-1300
Phone: 703-768-5700
National membership dues are $45, two years $80
Foreign membership $60
$12 of dues designated for American Horticulturist

AMERICAN IRIS SOCIETY, BULLETIN OF (quarterly) (ISSN 0747-4172)
7414 East 60th St
Tulsa OK 74145
Annual society membership: $9.50, includes subscription
c/o Marilyn Harlow
PO Box 8455
San Jose CA 95155

AMERICAN ORCHID SOCIETY, BULLETIN OF (monthly)
American Orchid Society
6000 South Olive Avenue
West Palm Beach, FL 33405-4159

AMERICAN ROCK GARDEN SOCIETY BULLETIN (quarterly)
American Rock Garden Society
PO Box 67
Millwood NY 10546
Annual dues: US $25; UK Pounds17; Canada $32

THE AMERICAN ROSE MAGAZINE (monthly)
P.O. Box 30000
8877 Jefferson Paige Rd.
Shreveport LA 71130-0030
Phone: 318-938-5402
Fax: 318-938-5405
Annual membership dues $32 in US and Canada
($30 if age 65 or over)

COMMON SENSE PEST CONTROL QUARTERLY (quarterly)
THE IPM PRACTITIONER (10 issues/year)
Bio-Integral Resource Center (BIRC)
PO Box 7414
Berkeley CA 94707
Phone: 510-524-2567
Fax: 510-524-1758
Membership in BIRC:
  Individual: US $25/year for IPMP
  Individual: US $35/year for CSPCQ
  Individual: US $45/year for combined IPMP and CSPCQ
  Canada, Mexico, and Foreign rates on request.

GREEN SCENE (bi-monthly)
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
325 Walnut St.
Philadelphia PA 19106
Green Scene available as subscription: $9.75
Or as membership benefit, annual dues: $40

HOBBY GREENHOUSE (quarterly)
Hobby Greenhouse Association
8 Glen Terrace
Bedford MA 01730
Phone: 617-275-0377
Annual dues US $12
Sample copy of magazine $3

MINNESOTA HORTICULTURIST (9 issues per year)
Minnesota State Horticultural Society
161 Alderman Hall
1970 Folwell Ave
St. Paul MN 55108
Membership: $25/year
'The magazine of northern gardeners'

PLANTS & GARDENS
Brooklyn Botanic Garden Record (quarterly)
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Ave
Brooklyn NY 11225

-

COUNTRY JOURNAL (bi-monthly)
Cowles Magazines
PO Box 392
Mt Morris IL 61054

Harrowsmith (Canada)
Camden House Publishing
7 Queen Victoria Road
Camden East, Ontario
Canada K0K 1J0
$19.98 (add $1.40 GST) per year in Canada
$25/year in the U.S.; $29/year outside US and Canada

HARROWSMITH COUNTRY LIFE (bi-monthly)
PO ABox 52863
Boulder CO 80322-2863

SOUTHERN LIVING (monthly)
PO Box 830119
Birmingham AL 31283

SUNSET MAGAZINE: (monthly)
Central West Edition
Northwest Edition
Southern California Edition
Southwest Edition
Sunset Subscriber Assistance
PO Box 2040
Harlan IA 51593-0003
Phone: 800-777-0117
One year $18 in US; $30 in Canada; $38 foreign.

Article 7831 of misc.rural: