[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: REQUEST: Neem tree info

z005114b@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us (Joan Bradley) writes:

> I am now the proud owner of a neem tree in a one-gallon pot. It was
> a gift. How much water and fertilizer does it need? How big does it get?
> I'm in South Florida. How do they fare in this area? I'd appreciate
> learning about this before I plant it and would hope some of the
> knowledgeable people "out there" could help.

A gift?  You what enlightened friends you have.  Neem is a fascinating
plant with some pretty remarkable medical, insect-inhibiting and other
commercially useful properties.  It has been the subject of a lot of
research in the last few decades.

This summer I collected seeds in Ghana where it has become naturalized
as it has in much of the tropics.  It is very hardy -- ethnic East Indians
tell me it is almost weedy in its disposition, and indeed the USDA has
some concerns over its potential to become the next _Schinus_ in Florida.
(I say they need not have much concern for while it is agressive I have
never seen it become a nuisance.)

I understand that there are people trying to develop strains that are
frost tolerant, but as far as I know nothing significant has come of the
efforts yet.  So, for now, assume that it will suffer badly if it gets
hit by frost.  Indeed, it doesn't even like temperatures below 60F -- in
our greenhouses they suffer badly during the winter months when our
greenhouses drop to 50F nightly.

Neem will grow in full or partial shade, needs heavy feeding (high N) and
doesn't mind copious water if it can get it.  I have the notion to promote
neem as a house plant, since it seems to do very well in bright windows.
Would require the occasional heavy pruning, but otherwise it requires little
care.  And it has its own pest defense system...

There is a book out on neem put out by the National Research Council
called _Neem: A Tree for Solving Global Problems_ (1992).  (We are planning
to list it in our next catalogue.  Sorry, Adam, I couldn't help myself,
but at least I avoided mentioning the price.)

Conrad Richter

RICHTERS HERBS                     | Info:                 info@richters.com
Goodwood, ON  L0C 1A0, Canada      | Catalog Requests:  catalog@richters.com
Tel +1-905-640-6677  Fax 640-6641  | Conrad Richter:     conrad@richters.com

I finally got it -- Rodale's Color Handbook of Garden Insects
by Anna Carr.  Rodale said it was out of print, the place in
California mentioned by Paul Harvey (I think it was him) had it
on back order but I found it at Arbico in Tucson!  Amazing
practically right next door!  and it was only $17 (including S & H).

While it is by no means comprehensive and its a bit short on
natural controls it has 200+ pages of wonderful *color* pictures of the
larvae and adult of many pests with short blurbs describing
the pest, its life cycle, host plants, feeding habits as well as
natural insect predators, the size of the pest and a graphical picture
showing where it might be found in the US.